Relics are a means of customizing the potency and use of your artifact. This section will touch on which traits to find relics for, as well as where you can find these different relics. Brewmasters can use Life, Storm, and Iron relics.
Basic Relic Priority
You can go for two kinds of relics, more or less. Defensive or Offensive.
Other relics do not provide as sufficient benefits to you, even if there is an ilvl increase. Try to get these traits above if at all possible.
The Netherlight Crucible
The Netherlight Crucible, unlocked once you finish the Argus campaign, allows you to empower your relics, granting you increased item level on Fu Zan, additional ranks in artifact traits, and new secondary powers. If you are unfamiliar with the Netherlight Crucible, it has three tiers of bonuses for each relic: Tier 1 is a flat +5 weapon item level bonus. Tier 2 is a proc or passive effect which provides damage, healing, shielding, or a stat. Tier 3 is a new rank in an artifact trait. The choices are shaped in a pyramid. Tier 2 as two choices, while Tier 3 has three. Depending on which Tier 2 bonus you pick, you can only pick two of the three Tier 3 options. For example, if you pick the left Tier 2 option, you can only pick either the left or middle Tier 3 rank. As well, the artifact traits on Tier 3 cannot be the same trait that you get on the relic. So Face Palm relics will never have Face Palm as a Tier 3 option. However, you can have multiple ranks of the Tier 2 bonuses. Having such simply makes their effects stronger by a magnitude equal to the number of ranks you have (i.e. 3 ranks in a Tier 2 power makes it 3 times as powerful)
Like picking your relics, we basically have two priorities: a Defensive relic build and an Offensive relic build. It is also worth mentioning that while the basic relic priority is fairly strict on which traits to go after, the Crucible can make that somewhat flexible. For example, if you are trying to build for DPS and have a Draught of Darkness relic with a good Tier 2 bonus and an accessible Face Palm trait for Tier 3, feel free to equip that relic.
Defensive Crucible Priority
- Relic Choice: any relic with Hot Blooded or Potent Kick
- Tier 3 Bonus Trait: Hot Blooded or Potent Kick, whichever is not on the relic
- Tier 2 Power: In priority: Refractive Shell, Secure in the Light, Shadowbind, Chaotic Darkness
Offensive Crucible Priority
- Relic Choice: Face Palm
- Tier 2 Power: In priority: Torment the Weak, Shadowbind, Chaotic Darkness
- Tier 3 Bonus Trait: In priority: Draught of Darkness, Gifted Student, Hot Blooded
So now that we know what kind of relics to go after, below is a list of all the locations and bosses which drop our relics of choice.
- Burden of Vigilance – Halls of Valor – Hymdall
- Quivering Blightshard – Neltharion’s Lair – Rokmora
- Snapped Emerald Pendant – Black Rook Hold – Illysanna Ravencrest
- Bonecrushing Hail – Violet Hold – Shivermaw
- Empowerment of Thunder – Halls of Valor – Hyrja
- Howling Echoes – Black Rook Hold – Amalgam of Souls
- Fragmented Meteorite Whetstone – Maw of Souls – Ymiron
- Pebble of Ages – Neltharion’s Lair – Dargul
- Skovald’s Resolve – Halls of Valor – God-King Skovald
- Tumultuous Aftershock – Eye of Azshara – King Deepbeard
Return to Karazhan
- Begrudging Confessions – Maiden of Virtue
- Scything Quill – Elerethe Renferal
- Chittering Mandible – Skorpyron
- Fingernails of the Fel Brute – Krosus
Tomb of Sargeras
- Chiseled Starlight – Sisters of the Moon