Windwalker PvP Guide (8.3)
Choosing The Right Defensive for the Job
Stacking Hit Combo
To Clone or Not to Clone!
- Conflict and Strife
- Blood of the Enemy
- Breath of the Dying (Rank 3)
- Conflict and Strife
- Breath of the Dying
- Visions of Perfection
- Lucid Dreams
Agility > Versatility > Mastery > Haste > Crit
Versatile Dark Opal in open gem slots.
- Corrupted Gladiator’s Medallion
- Corrupted Gladiator’s Insignia
- Any equivalent Vers or Main Stat trinket
All trinkets and Essence shave the potential to be worth while with some being more or less useful than others at different quality levels. If you have a trinket not in this list and it’s the highest item level available to you it’s still more than likely worth using. Either test it out for yourself in arenas or battlegrounds, or sim it on a site like raidbots against other potential upgrades, additionally if you feel like something is better suited to your playstyle then give it a shot.
The concept of “Best-in-slot” lists is mostly obsolete with the advent of War/Titanforging and sockets. Gear should be assessed on a case-by-case basis rather than as a whole, using tools like SimCraft or Raidbots. While you can not reliable simulate PvP situations it’s sometimes beneficial to understand how gear upgrades impact the damage your abilities will deal and make a judgement call from there.
To assess what gear to aim for, you want to follow this priority:
- Item level trumps just about everything in just about every situation unless its Azerite gear.
- Aim for items with as high Versatility on them whenever you can
- Aim for items with Mastery as the other stat
- Haste is not terrible but will not increase your damage at the same rate per rating as other secondaries
- Critical Strike damage is severely diminished in PvP
Azerite and Corruption
If it’s not listed here then it’s not worth mentioning over anything else or I forgot to add it, in which case ping me in Discord. This is just a list of what is noteworthy and not all gear will have these choices available so you may have to sacrifice one trait for a better one. The Loot District is a site I’d highly recommend in order to get a snapshot of what other people are currently running with. Always form the best opinion you can on which traits to run for each game by getting the widest perspective possible.
Tier 1 Meta Traits (outer rings)
- Versatile is the most desirable | Flat % is better but both are good. Huge defensive bonuses with CnS proc.
- Gushing Wound (Still good Post Nerf)
- Twilight Dev
WeakAuras / Addons
WeakAuras can be a blessing or a curse. While they can aid in tracking certain buffs or debuffs they can also clutter your screen and visual impair or distract you. What I link here is popular, simple, effective, and updated regularly. While you don’t have to use them I would still recommend finding something or creating your own to use following the same mindset.
- Babylonius – Windwalker Monk group
- Ipse’s WA’s – Monk
- Gladius or sArena
- Touch of Karma duration and remaining absorb
- Storm, Earth, and Fire | This Weak Aura shows the charge amount, cooldown of your next charge, and duration of your active SEF.
A really handy tool to automatically switch buttons on your action bar with talent changes is the add on Talentmacros
#showtooltip as the first line will display an icon of your choosing if specified or will default to the icon of the first line in the macro.
/cast [target=focus] Spear Hand Strike
/cast [target=focus] Paralysis
/cast [target=Player] Tiger’s Lust
The “exists” parameter will enable the Macro to function as a normal key outside of Arenas
/Cast [@arena1, exists] Paralysis; Paralysis
/Cast [@arena2, exists] Paralysis; Paralysis
/Cast [@arena3, exists] Paralysis; Paralysis
/target arena1 or /focus arena1
/target arena2 or /focus arena2
/target arena3 or /focus arena3
/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead] AbilityNameHere
#showtooltip Touch of Karma
/cast Touch of Karma
/Cast [@Chiakong, exists] Thundercharge
- Windwalker PvP Guide updated by Talby 1/17/2020 (Under Construction)